Hunger:

HUNGER: One of the few cravings that cannot be appeased with another solution.

Monday, October 10, 2011

Slow Cooker Pot Roast...Raining Day Cooking


My Rival Slow Cooker

  • Perfect Rainy/Cold Day Dinner
  • My husband loves pot roast something I really didn't know how to cook or eat before meeting him.  My mom just didn't do pot roast. So me ,being a "Good Wife", I attempted to make pot roast for him shortly after getting married. It tasted and looked like a rubber chicken. DON'T ASK!  I refused to be defeated by a side of beef so I made another attempt a a year ago using a recipe from the kitchen queen Martha Steward(love her). It was perfect and we at the entire 3lbs. I tweaked it by adding parsnips because they are awesome. 
  • Since it was raining cat, dogs, and donkeys in Houston one Sunday I decided to make the pot roast again(minus parsnips)
  • It was great again this is so a great workday meal just set the crook pot and leave it. Perfect when you get home. I follow the directions pretty much to the letter only I add parsnips and a few more spices.  

  • Slow Cooker Pot Roast (Courtesy of Martha Steward)
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 8 medium carrots, cut into thirds
  • 2 medium onions, each cut into 8 wedges
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1 beef chuck roast (3 pounds), trimmed of excess fat
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce


  1. In slow cooker, stir together cornstarch and 2 tablespoons cold water until smooth. Add carrots and onions; season with salt and pepper, and toss.
  2. Sprinkle roast with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; place on top of vegetables, and drizzle with Worcestershire. Cover; cook on high, 6 hours (or on low, 10 hours).
  3. Transfer roast to a cutting board; thinly slice against the grain. Place vegetables in a serving dish; pour pan juices through a fine-mesh sieve, if desired. Serve roast with vegetables and pan juices.


Happy Cooking Houston 
Htown Hungry Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment